Hello! I am Ray Richards, Attorney at Law. If you are reading this, either you, a friend, or loved one may be facing some type of legal challenge that is somehow related to the criminal justice system. If you are in need of a tough, knowledgeable, and aggressive criminal defense lawyer – you have come to the right place! We operate primarily out of the Southeast Metropolitan Detroit area and throughout the state of Michigan. We handle ALL felony and misdemeanor criminal charges in District, State Courts locally and throughout the State of Michigan, and Federal Courts within the State of Michigan and throughout the country!
I often get asked the following questions by prospective clients: What makes you and your law firm different from all the others? Why is it so important to retain an experienced Detroit criminal defense lawyer to represent me on felony or misdemeanor criminal matters – when I can get the most economical lawyer? Here are some answers/reasons why:
- We Give Our Clients Peace of Mind - Loss of sleep, anxiety, and panic attacks are the typical emotions of those who are charged with a crime for the first time. Taking on a court case on your own, or with a less experienced attorney, can cost you a boatload of time (jail or otherwise), energy, huge amounts of anxiety, and maybe even your freedom. The criminal law code and procedure and its many intricacies, deadlines, court dates, prelitigation, trial strategy, and excruciating amounts of paperwork are often overwhelming and way too much for most people, or a “not as experienced” lawyer, to deal with themselves. An experienced attorney like myself, can effectively help you in these tough situations and give you peace of mind. I am a tried, true, and tested criminal lawyer who can often predict how your court case will play out due to my 24plus years of in-the-trenches experience in major and minor criminal cases/courts, locally and nationwide. I will zealously assist you in getting the results you need to preserve your freedom and calm your fears and anxiety.
- We Understand the Law Better - As an experienced, battle-tested criminal defense lawyer, I have a much better understanding of the law. As a lawyer who has specifically concentrated my practice in criminal defense and dedicated many years of studying and practicing law pertaining to my field, I am better qualified for this battle in the trenches of criminal courts than most lawyers. Moreover, I have dedicated many weeks, weekends, and sometimes months of criminal defense legal education training with the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National Criminal Defense College, quarterly federal criminal defense training, and the prestigious federal criminal defense lawyer boot camp training which is for elite and advanced criminal defense lawyers. I have made it a point to keep up to date with the law, prosecutorial tactics and techniques, and the latest criminal defense strategies to assist and position my clients for optimum results.
- I Am and Always Have Been a Criminal Defense Lawyer - From day one, I have been a practicing criminal defense lawyer! I started with the Detroit Defender’s Office – high volume caseload, veteran trial tested senior defenders training me, and I was in court defending the accused every day, from day one! Any lawyer that has practiced in a public defender setting as I have, is not short of motion, strategy, and trial experience! You must have the defense mindset 24/7/365 and be able to practice from the defense perspective. Moreover, you must try and handle many defense cases in order to be a competent criminal defense lawyer! The criminal defense dynamic and mindset is totally different from any other type of lawyer! After working for the Defender’s Office, I decided to go into private practice, and I have been in the trenches, in court every day, zealously and fervently fighting on behalf of the accused, arguing motions, and trying cases daily – the pace hasn’t stopped. Lastly, it is said that former prosecutors turned defense attorneys will often have more credibility with current prosecutors. That might be true, but at the end of the day, do you want to deal, or do you want a defense? We defend and only deal when it is the absolute last resort!
- We Have Access to Other Professionals and Expert Witnesses to Assist with Your Case - When you're fighting a criminal case, you may need the help of other professionals in addition to a lawyer. As an experienced criminal lawyer who works with these professionals on a consistent basis, we are able to call on a large network of these professionals, including private investigators, medical professionals, expert witnesses, and many other professionals that may be critical to forming and executing a defense. We work with, have access to, and have
routinely utilized these professionals in successful defenses.
- We Stand by You with Confidence and Champion Your Cause - As the saying goes, as the accused, you are only as strong as the lawyer standing next to you! When you appear in court, you are being sized up. The prosecutor, the judge, and the complainant are sizing up you and your lawyer. You do not want to give them a hint that your defense is not suited for and/or doesn’t have the ability to aggressively and successfully defend your interests. You want someone who is proven, respected, well-known, tried, true, and tested. You want someone who is known as a fighter, who won't be pushed around by anyone in any courtroom under any circumstances. I am a great believer in being this type of lawyer, unbought and unbossed, standing tall by your side, knowledgeable, with courtroom savvy, and in tune with the most updated defense legal techniques to defend you and your interests.
- We Handle the Serious Business of Our Clients! - Felony convictions have severe and life changing consequences. They have penalties which can include incarceration (prison), jail, probation, restitution, community service hours, fines, and court costs. Also, felonies can have lifetime consequences, such as your criminal record being displayed publicly online. Misdemeanors also have penalties, and if convicted, a lifetime of exposure of said misdemeanor conviction being on your record. A felony or misdemeanor can affect job opportunities, credit opportunities, and disqualify you from being admitted in or receiving financial aid from higher financial institutions. In some cases, if it involves any type of sex crime, it can exclude you from certain schools, universities, and neighborhoods. With so much on the line, your choice for a criminal defense lawyer at such a sensitive and significant time in your life is critical! Choose wisely!
- People Need Criminal Defense Lawyers for a Variety of Reasons - We work with clients who have gotten themselves into all types of trouble, binds, and negative situations. It is critical for you to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as you can, at even the hint of any charges and/or interaction with law enforcement. If you are approached by law enforcement and there's even a chance of you being charged and/or being involved as a witness or otherwise, with all respect and courtesy, politely inform the law enforcement agent that you would much rather speak with your attorney present and call us right away!
Many people who have been under the erroneous assumption that they can talk themselves out of a charge or work it out themselves, are spending time behind bars. Always be sure to involve a lawyer. Trust me, it can and will preserve your future going forward.
I often represent people who need their records, criminal misdemeanors, and felonies expunged. Grand jury testimony and investigations; probation violations/supervised release violations; non-cooperating witness interviews with law enforcement; appeals and law enforcement seizure and forfeiture of money, guns, homes and other property – criminal law has many faces, facets and foci.
In conclusion, having effective representation indeed costs, yet it pays! It pays for peace of mind – preservation of your future – and protection of your rights! Call/text me now, Attorney Ray Richards, 313.694.8400, or email me at [email protected]. For more information, feel free to review my website at www.rayrichardslaw.com Looking forward to working with you